To build life-long skills in the students and enable them to expand their horizons and be successful in their future paths.
To promote STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) through the creation of a sustainable, robust robotics program in Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem Counties in NJ.
Team 316, the LuNaTeCs, began in 1999 with seven students and four mentors through a partnership with local businesses and educators.
Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem Counties are in a rural, agricultural area located in the southwest corner of New Jersey and our students come from high schools throughout the three counties. The students and mentors work hard to form friendships and bonds that are strong, just not on the playing field, but that continue after they leave the team.
The LuNaTeCs remain one of the smaller teams in FIRST with 10-20 students. The small size of our team allows each team member to be an integral part of the robot design, build and strategy getting “hands on” experience.
In 2008 the team incorporated to a non for profit organization – South Jersey Robotics, Inc. Since that time, SJR has continued to grow and add additional teams. Currently, there are ten teams:
FRC Team 316, the LuNaTeCs
FRC Team 5420, Velocity
FTC Team 7071, the EngiNerds
and seven FLL teams that include the Lunabots, Team Shockwave, and Pyro Penguins
- Provide a hands-on engineering experience for local students grades 4 – 12
- Excite students to engineering and technology careers
- Allow students to work side-by-side with positive role models
- Promote the ideals of FIRST®
- Provide opportunities to learn skills which will promote success:
leadership / teamwork / creativity / time and budget management / public speaking
- Increase community awareness of FIRST Robotics
- Be a mentor to other local FIRST Robotics teams
- Continue to be competitive FIRST teams
South Jersey Robotics is a 501(c)(3) organization.